Yay! Summer time is finally here! We finally have time to travel. On vacations we tend to splurge on yummy foods (which is 100% OKAY), but here are some ways to sneak in ways to be healthy(ish) when traveling…
1. Explore! Remember that exploring actually burns calories. It can be as simple as taking a walk on the beach, swimming, snow tubing, the list goes ON & ON. Have fun with fitness!
2. Of course try new foods and enjoy every bite. It is even better if you can sneak in some fruit and veggies in there with that special treat. For example, if you are going for the spinach dip, maybe try balancing it with carrot sticks instead of chips..every choice you make counts!
3. Sleep! One of the best ways to wind down and actually enjoy your time on vacation is to get some sleep because it’s your time to relax. Try not to use food as a way to relax. Instead, JUST RELAX. Utilize your special foods for enjoyment, not emotional eating.
4. Hydrate.Hydrate.Hydrate. Let’s not forget about the easiest thing to do (and the most important). Carry a water bottle, have that extra glass at lunch and dinner, and use flavored seltzers if you are looking for a sweeter beverage. Try to shy away from drinking your calories.
5. Pack snacks. When you are prepared, we are less likely to fail! Count out just enough for each day and put in baggies. Since you made the effort, chances are you will make the choice!
6. Plan 1-2 workouts that involve enjoying the atmosphere. Have you always wanted to run on the beach? Make it fun! Bring a friend along and plan out adventures.
7. If your vacationing spot is less than a mile away from adventures, you know the drill: plan to walk. It will save you $$, and allow you to explore on foot things you could not in a car.
8. Portions always! Even if you are indulging, have one scoop of icecream and ask for the sample spoon so you can enjoy this dish at a slower pace. The slower you eat, the less likely you will over indulge.
9. We like to follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time, make a choice that will benefit your goals. 20% of the time, enjoy that piece of cake or that serving of nachos, but still follow along with the portion size!
10. It’s about the people, not the food. Just remember, although food is apart of the enjoyment, you are there to bond with the people you are with! Be present, be mindful, and have fun without focusing on the calories.
Those are just some simple, yet effective tips to think about when you’re on vacation. But don’t forget that this is your time to have fun. It’s not an everyday thing to go on vacation, so do it up! Live your life and just try to keep these tips in mind!
High School Senior
Michele Wroblewski, RDN
Caruso Physical Therapy and Nutrition, LLC
1278 Yardville Allentown Rd. Suite 3
Allentown, NJ 08501